Thursday, 13 October 2011

Wild experiences

So where were we? I think I left you with the 2 day trip around Samui.
Well, after that we had a couple of days left in the Pink House, which we spent resting and one afternoon trekking the nearby mountain. It was hot, jungle-y and interesting. The kids as usual were very good, hardly complaining, despite the wear and tear on everybody's feet as a result of the hike.


Worn out team


But the view was worth it

Once our time was up in our lodge, we decided to move over to the small island of Koh Tan we visited earlier that week. So finally I got some of the much awaited rough living. It was rather successful, as we eventually survived it and even enjoyed the experience. The kids learned how to make fire. I learned how not to make a fishing net and Kati learned how to cook the rice in 1000 different ways.


Kids on board


Exploring a nearby small island


Still enjoying rice.


Nice campsite, isn't it?

We spent 4 nights there altogether, only us, the fishermen and the daytime random tourists. It was unforgettable. We never enjoyed ice cream like we did after we returned to mainland...
As we still had no lodging sorted, we opted to go to the next island, Koh Phangan, to see what that is like. On the ferry there we picked up an info book and a map of it and decided to go to the North as it offered the best snorkeling sites. I found a cheap room in about half an hour on the best beach on the island, Salad beach after the taxi put us down at a resort. Spent the next few days exploring the area, including a mini island, Koh Ma, next to the main one. Then yesterday we went on a daytrip to see the Ang Thong Marine Park. What can I say, it was amazing. Beautiful, untouched nature, many-many tiny, exotic islands, cool snorkeling sites and perfect service on the boat all day. We used the Orion company/trip/boat, I don't really know which, I can recommend it if you ever come to this part of the world; http://www.phanganboattrips.com/.


Our resort, Haad Salad Villa, 600 THB (£13) per night for all of us, with aircon.
More than good.


Nice snorkeling site 50m from beach


Daniel is learning Snooker




Boarding the Orion


Rich marine life in the park


Some of the view of the archipelago ( I hope I spelt it right)



A snorkeling site


Sunset on the way back.

It was one of the best days of the whole trip so far, definitely a must for anyone coming this way. I think we are setting up camp at our present resort. As we produce more pics will add to a new post. If anyone interested in all the photos we made so far, can have a look at our Picasa album here.

No comments:

Post a Comment